BELFAST WILL BE EXXARO’S FIRST GREENFIELDS MINE SINCE INYANDA
The Belfast Implementation Project (BIP) team are in the midst of making Exxaro history. the R3.3-billion, 2.7-million-tonne-a-year Belfast project, where production of thermal coal is expected to begin in the first half of 2020.
BIP’s Phase 1 operations will support the Exxaro vision by producing A-grade thermal coal exports and low-grade (Eskom or export) coal for a period of 17 years post-handover to operations.
Key project milestones include:
- Provincial road upgrades commenced (1Q2017)
- Main plant terrace (Platform V) (1Q2017)
- The project’s licensing appeals were resolved.
- The project’s budget for construction was released.
- The three main construction contracts worth R1.4bn in total, were placed.
- The first contractor started with site establishment (3Q2017).
- Offices Fabrication Complete (4Q2017)
- Current activities for the remainder of 2017 include mainly:
a. Construction lay down areas.
b. Construction of roads.